About 22 years ago I learned about the dangers of mercury poisoning and while living in Santa Fe, New Mexico. At the time, I decided to have all of my mercury fillings removed. Little did I realize the danger associated with the removal of the fillings and later learned that the dentist whose dedication to this task, died at a very early age after years of Alzheimer's. Today, believe it or not, there are still dentists that use mercury laden amalgam for fillings, even in kid's teeth.
Of course I have become vigilant in my pursuit of alternative dentistry over the years and am surprised at the lack of information about the links between mercury, heavy metal poisoning and brain health deterioration. I am also learning that there is a link between periodontal disease and heart disease and again feel shocked that more information is not available, and that dentists do not emphasize the very basics of tooth care, stressing that a lack there of can lead to much more serious disease.
Yesterday I spent 3 hours in the chair with my new, alternative dentist as he examined, poked and prodded looking for subtle tell tale signs of gum bleeding, bacteria pockets, and decay. I went to him after learning from my local dentist that I may have decay under an old crown but that he couldn't tell until he removed the crown and then would know if I might even need a root canal! I was instantly suspicious and became determined to see whether I could remove the risk by vigilant flossing and irrigation.
Today I learned that I had no decay and that it was simply a notch in the gold that caused food to get stuck, creating a pocket that bled when I received my last cleaning. Thank goodness that I did not simply trust my dentist by allowing him to remove the filling unnecessarily exposing me to further peril and expense.
Today I was fortunately given an extremely clean bill of periodontal health and walked out feeling very relieved and proud.
There is much to understand about why some people have strong teeth that do not decay whereas others have a weakness that ultimately leads to more serious bacterial infection. I learned years ago that it has to do with the level of acidity in the saliva, which allows the growth of mutans streptococci, an acid forming bacteria that cause periodontal disease and the foul smell that comes from the mouths of those who have it. More disturbing however is the notion that these bacteria can actually get into the blood and wreak havoc on the immune system.
While it is impossible to prove, those of you have read my article about Tom's lymphoma will know that I seriously suspect a link between the recent replacement of a permanent bridge in his mouth and the onset of his lymphoma. I cannot emphasize enough the need for vigilant oral care and urge that you speak to your dentist about how to keep your moth and teeth strong and healthy.
Today my new and wonderful dentist shared with me the benefits of Xylitol, in preventing dental caries and decay.
Xylitol, a natural occurring sugar harvested from the bark of birch trees in Finland, when eaten, is known to help prevent bacteria from producing the acid that allows them to cause decay. Unlike normal sugar (sucrose) which has 6 carbon molecules and is acidic, Xylitol is a 5 carbon sugar and is therefore alkaline. It tastes just like sugar, is safe for diabetics, has fewer calories, promotes salivation which is important for oral health and leaves no after taste.
Needless to say I immediately bought some Xylitol crystals, gum, mints and toothpaste in the hopes that I can promote and maintain dental health for my entire family.
Related Products: Xylitol