Everyone should be concerned about the epidemic proportion with which the H1N1 flu is infecting the world however our body is a strong infection-fighting machine that will survive its onslaught so long as you have taken care of it.
Getting 8 hours of sleep to restore your immune function, ingesting tons of free radical fighting antioxidants through fruits and vegetables, taking a good multi vitamin to ensure proper mineral and vitamin nutrition, maintaining a personal hygiene that involves much hand washing and finding time to relax and laugh to keep your mind at peace, your spirit uplifted and your mood happy and calm are essential precautions to fight off the risk of this terribly invasive illness.
Many of you have asked whether I will vaccinate my family against the flu or try to source a supply of Tamiflu.
I will tell you honestly that I live by the notion that exposure, when you are healthy; to things that may threaten your health is the natural way to build immunity. H1N1 is a pandemic flu because we have never been exposed to it before and unless your immune system is strong, it will probably succeed in compromising your health beyond the normal levels.
I urge you to check with your family doctor, make the decision wisely and most importantly do everything that you can to support your immune system, encourage lymphatic drainage, eat fresh and wholesome food and get plenty of rest.
The following list of precautions was sent to me by a lighterliving member to whom I am grateful and wish to share these sensible pointers with all of you.
1. Since most viruses are passed from surfaces we touch it is essential to focus on frequent hand washing. Also using a hand sanitizer when you do not have an available sink helps. Make sure your sanitizer is at least 40% alcohol for it to be effective.
2. It has been proven that the virus enters our body via the mouth and the nose. I suggest keeping dirty hands away from your face as a sensible precaution. So unless eating or washing maintain the "hands-off-the-face" approach.
3. Warm salt water is an old age remedy to fight the proliferation of bacterial and viral infection. I suggest that you gargle twice a day with warm salt water, (1/4 teaspoon of sea salt in 1 cup of warm water).
4. In case you didn't know, the administration of the H1N1 vaccine is through the nose and viruses pass into our body very readily via the nasal mucous membranes so I suggest that you buy your self a Neti Pot and rinse your nose and sinus cavities every day with 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt in 1 cup of warm water. For small children and those grossed by the idea of the Neti pot, try swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water.
5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C, Zinc, Selenium, or take a high powered anti-oxidant supplement.
6. It has shown that warm liquids, such as tea, help deter the proliferation of viral and bacterial growth in your throat and mouth, much like gargling, so drink as much of warm liquids as you can.
Learn more: Do we need to take Vitamins?